Saturday, September 25, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance Canada

The Academy Class and I went to SYTYCD Canada on a method acting assignment.  We were to play a character from the industry (i.e. a celebrity, a bodyguard, a manager, groupies and talent scouts).  My friends and I were groupies and we kept screaming and chasing after ‘Mickey G’, our celebrity.  Eventually, people started asking who he was, feeling ashamed that they did not know.  Some even went to ask for his autograph and picture.  Even though we almost got kicked out, it was an eye-opening experience and I learned a lot about myself and other people.

What I learned about myself as an actor were the roles that I could play and portray well.  Many of the roles that we were given required a mature and poised persona.  However, I have been told that I look like or younger than my age, so I definitely could not have passed for a director or manager.  Furthermore, those roles would require me to have a serious and business-like approach.  Groupies, on the other hand, could be any age and they are more crazy and outgoing.  As a result, that was the role where I had my best shot at staying in the moment.  Therefore, I learned what I had to work on as a growing artist and that the roles my age are my most successful approaches.

What I learned about others was that people are automatically drawn to famous people. They do not have to necessarily know who they are, but as soon as word spreads, everyone tries to get a picture and/or autograph.  Many of the people there probably did not know who ‘Mickey G’ was, but after hearing that he was famous, they went after him.  It even got to the point where a security guard began guarding him as well.  To be honest, if I see someone famous, I would ask for an autograph or picture.  However, now I realize they are just really successful people and at the end of the day, they are still just like us.  

SYTYCD Canada this year was a fun-filled and exciting learning experience.  The method acting assignment was a challenge at first, but I would love to be able to do that again. The stories we got at the end were worth it and will never be forgotten.

0 comments:

Post a Comment