Monday, November 8, 2010

Life on the Streets - An Act of Kindness


People always tell you to do a random act of kindness, whether it be buying someone something just because, spending time with someone or even a simple smile or wave to a stranger.  To be honest, I usually do not give this a second thought. 

However, I remember one summer when my friend and I went downtown to go shopping.  She told me that she wanted to buy a hotdog for a homeless man just because.  I thought it was a sweet thing to do so I waited as she bought the hotdog.  Together, we walked over to a homeless man and she gave him the hotdog.  The brightness of his smile when he saw her kind gesture lit a flame in my heart.  He scarfed the hotdog down like it was nobody's business. 

I never thought something so little could make such a big impact.  His smile will forever stay in my heart and her act of kindness inspired me to do the same.  In this superficial world, it was probably rare for him to encounter such a giving soul.  Therefore, when he did, I could just imagine how much meaning his life now had, just to receive that one hotdog.

An Act of Kindness illustrates a young girl giving a homeless man a cup of coffee on a winter day.  Before she arrived, his life had no meaning and hope, hence the blank background.  However, her gesture to him painted a picture in his heart and life.

Therefore, I would like to challenge you to do something kind for someone just because, whether it be a stranger or a loved one.  You never know, the three dollars you spent on a coffee or the five seconds you spent smiling may mean a million other things to someone else.

0 comments:

Post a Comment