Thursday, November 25, 2010

Will You Remember?

November is the month of Remembrance Day, but should it just be limited to this month?  Every day, people are fighting wars to give themselves, their loved ones and even strangers a peaceful and safe place to live.  We all struggle in our lives, but how often do we put our lives on the line for the better of someone else?  Every day, people are getting injured or killed for their bravery and loyalty to their country.  Every day, people are losing loved ones who made it their duty to free the world of all of its suffering.
To be honest, I never thought twice about Remembrance Day until this year.  It was only as I grew older that I began to grasp the reality of it and its importance.  However, it was this Remembrance Day when it actually dawned on me. 
At school, we had a Remembrance Day broadcast and the closing piece completed the powerful and poignant 30-minute video.  Throughout the video, I felt my eyes begin to tear, but it wasn’t until the end that I absolutely lost it and tears began to flood my eyes.  The last dramatic piece was about a girl finding out that her loved one had passed away during the war.  The acting was in the moment and unquestionably amazing.  Their movement piece reached out to my heart and their ending was unbelievable.  In the end, they gave their audience a feeling of hope that it is possible to overcome the hate, violence and struggle and discover love and kindness.
While watching the whole piece, I learned to be appreciative of the people that I am fortunate to be surrounded with.  I realized that in one instant, all of that can be taken away from me.  I realized that nothing lasts forever and we should grab hold of the moments we share before it’s too late.  I thought about my father and if he were to go to war.  I spend a lot of time arguing with him, but while watching that piece, I realized that I would be totally lost without him.  I thought that that could have been my father that was taken from this world... taken away from me...
Therefore, I am truly grateful for this broadcast because it opened my eyes and made me realize that I should not take for granted what I have in life.  It taught me that life is a precious gift and that gift could be taken away at any given moment.  In addition, I would like to thank all of the soldiers fighting for peace and our safety and putting their lives on the line for people they have never met.  I would also like to send out my prayers to the families who have loved ones involved in the wars and hope for the best for them.  Thank you.



I love you, daddy...

0 comments:

Post a Comment