Monday, November 8, 2010

Life on the Streets - Behind a Mask


A lot of people hide behind a smile or a mask or a facade to hide who they really are on the inside.  There are many reasons why people do this.  Sometimes, it is because the person is ashamed of who they are, they are insecure or because they are not accepted for who they really are.

This is why I believe that we should not judge a book by its cover.  Human beings are complicated creatures.  There are many parts to us and there are reasons for why we do what we do.  Sometimes these reasons are not immediately known to the world.  As a result, we are in no place to judge another.

Behind a Mask is a sketch that shows an average, nice-looking house with its interlock done and a driveway.  There are flower pots at the front of the house and an old-fashioned lamp by the door.  With just one look at this house, who would have thought of all the struggles and problem behind this facade? 

When I went vintage shoppping as mentioned in previous posts, we dropped by a thrift store.  I saw a wide range of people there.  There were old women, middle-aged men, even young teens such as myself.  They all looked like regular people to me.  However, when I neared them, they had a bit of a stench to them and I was taken aback.  I always pictured homeless people and those living in poverty to wear ragged clothing.  As a result, when I saw these 'average-looking' people, I never thought they could be struggling financially (or at least that is the most probable explanation for why they are at the thrift shop, smelling like they did).

I then realized that not everything meets the eye.  These people, behind that 'average' look, have a story to be told.  They have obstacles that they are struggling to overcome.  Therefore, I created this sketch to metaphorically depict what I learned in that thrift store.  Looking into the windows and doors of the house, it is illustrated that despite the nice and calm front, inside the house is actually chaos.

Therefore, I want to challenge you, to think twice before you judge a person, because everyone is not as clean cut as we want them to be.  We are all different.  We all have stories and overlapping personalities.  We are individuals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment