Monday, November 8, 2010

Life on the Streets - This is My Home


Taking a look around the Queen and Ossington area, I saw people eating on the streets, sleeping on the streets and ultimately, living on the streets.  Simply put, this is their home.  They do everything under the roof of mother nature.  Meanwhile, for myself and many other people, we are fortunate to have an actual roof over our heads and walls to protect us from the cold, the rain and the heat.  Walking downtown, I was taking a look into the homes of these people, living through poverty.

This is My Home illustrates the life of the homeless in what they know as their home: the streets.  Outside of this 'home' is a perfect--as close to perfect as it could it--bubble that I live in.  Outside is the sun shining on a bright future that I am blessed with and birds soaring, which one day I will be.  The following poem/choral piece depicts the point of views of two people, one like me, and one that is homeless, and their definition of home.

This is my home
A warm place to return to at the end of the day
Sitting at the corner, nothing to do but to stay
On the sofa, under the warm blanket
I take cover from the icy outside
And the wind blows so cold and ruthless
Cutting the bare skin I failed to hide

This is my home
Sitting at a table filled with food and laughter
Waiting for the smallest anything for dinner
Finishing the last bite, satisfied
Joining the family for our favourite show
Sitting alone, watching them walk by
Praying for something edible to swallow

This is my home
One hot shower to relax and de-stress
Waiting for the rain to clean this mess

Almost ready for bed, but first
A hot cup of tea with a hint of sugar
Lay my head down on the dirt
The only sweetness coming from the big dipper

This is my home
Where I am surrounded by warmth and love
A place that is unknown but I always dreamt of
A mother and father, lovely sister and brother
A family that I belong to forever and always
All alone in a world of strangers
Wonder if I’ll make it to another day

Where I live
Where I stay
Where I’m loved
Where I’m overlooked
That is my home

0 comments:

Post a Comment