Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Wicked Experience

On Wednesday, we went to the see the musical, Wicked, at the Canon Theatre in Toronto.  It was an amazing, extraordinary, breathtaking, uplifting, inspiring and powerful experience--I could go on about it for hours.  I was left speechless even after the curtain call.  I was so devastated that it was over because I was so moved and into the performance.
The music is mind-blowing.  I especially love all numbers sung by Elphaba and Glinda.  Both of them have powerful and resonating voices that sent chills down my back.  Their voices are quite different in style.  Glinda has a very high, yet strong-- almost opera-like--voice.  She hit all of the high notes perfectly and could belt them out like it was nobody’s business.  On the other hand, Elphaba’s voice is more alto-soprano.  There are times where she sung high notes, but never as high or frequent as Glinda.  Nonetheless, her voice still gave me goosebumps because it was so refreshing and free-spirited.  However, when Glinda and Elphaba sang together, it was like angels descended from heaven.  Their voices are perfect for each other and I wish the musical was a bit longer so I could hear more of them.  A part from the singing, I also love the songs that were sung because the lyrics are playful, yet they have a deep and poignant meaning.  They are so inspiring and uplifting.  Together with the talented voices, I was brought to tears at the last song because it really touched my heart.

Another aspect of this musical that I absolutely adore is the costumes and the set.  The costumes were out-of-this world beautiful.  The colours were bright and vibrant.  I especially love Glinda’s dress in the end and the outfits of all the citizens in the Emerald City.  Glinda’s stunning blue dress was so sparkly and glittery—my perfect prom dress—while the Emerald City outfits were a magnificent shade of green.  Furthermore, the set is extravagant.  There was a large dragon head above the stage and a mechanical face that the Wizard of Oz uses.  As well, the set pieces for each scene were so detailed and intricate.  If they were to be set out, it would be like a fantasy playground with the playfulness of the school sets, to the bright lights of the Emerald City, to the different levels of the outdoor scenes.  The lighting is also mind-blowing.  There were so many colours and effects that tied the whole performance together.
This musical has given me a new love for musicals (the one I went to before was pretty tedious) and a renewed love for acting.  Everything about this production was perfect.  Wicked is definitely a musical that I would go back to and one I would take my family to.  I remember my lack of enthusiasm for this trip because I did not think I would be interested in the musical.  However, I am so grateful for the opportunity to see the magic unfold and for giving it a chance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment