Friday, December 10, 2010

Never There - Relationship Scene

(title subject to change)

It’s Christa’s nineteenth birthday and her boyfriend, Derek, promised to be home to celebrate her special day.  However, he gets held back in New York City where he is negotiating a contract for an upcoming project.  Therefore, he decides to plan a surprise dinner with an extra special gift for her instead.  In spite of this, Christa, weary and fed up with Derek’s constant bailing, confides in a close guy friend who takes her out to dinner to comfort her. 

Since Derek is rarely home, disputes do not happen often between him and Christa.  However, the lack of communication between the two takes a toll on their relationship as many of their fights and arguments rises from those bottled up feelings.  Christa deals with these problems by drinking and being away from the apartment she shares with Derek as much as possible.  This raises concern for Derek, who means well, but is not always in control of his emotions.

Events take a turn for the worse when Derek returns home and finds Christa still in her alcoholic habits.  He completely loses it and Christa as well, who sees her estranged and abusive father in Derek.  She decides to duck out of the relationship before a repeat of her parents’ troubles occurs with her and Derek.




For my relationship scene, I am playing Christa and working with a great and amazing actor, Nathanial Matthews, who will be playing Derek.  I am really excited about this because we have been doing comedic scenes all semester long.  Now it's time for a slice of life, as my teacher would say. 
  


 
I remember back in grade ten, I hated doing comedy and sitcoms.  Okay, I didn't really hate it, but I felt that I was very weak in it and if I was given a more serious character, I would be able to pull it off much stronger.  However, now, I enjoy doing comedy and making people laugh, so this assignment is a little intimidating.  Since it's a relationship scene, typically intimate, it feels a little awkward to be so transparent in front of an audience.  Nevertheless, I will take on this challenge with a positive attitude because I will have to be able to do all kinds of genres and characters if I want to be well-rounded.  Also, this will definitely be a neat experience.

Anyway, stay tuned and I'll keep you updated on the process and how this goes.  Performances are after the break, but still, wish us luck! =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment