Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Is

This is a poem/choral piece/spoken word that my friend, Ramona Persaud, and I wrote for our school's December Festival Show, which was filled with many amazing pieces that connected to the many holidays in this month.

Christmas Is... is a piece depicting two point-of-views on the Christmas holiday.  One is from a middle- to high-classed person who is enjoying the holiday and the happiness it brings.  The other is from a homeless person on the street forgotten in the midst of the holiday rush.


Christmas is a time of happiness--
Supposed to be a time of happiness; but it is a time of sorrow.
Waiting for Santa to bring our gifts,
Wondering if there will be another tomorrow.
Spending time with the family,

A warm dinner in my beautiful home;


A welcoming shelter from the wind and snow.
The warm fireplace; never cold.
Christmas tree is up,
Lights are shining bright.
A place of laughter and love,
Where everything is perfectly right.


A neverending spread of food;
Gathered together in the Christmas mood.
The room fills with excited chatter,
As we reminisce of the year that just passed.
Never been happier;
The perfect time to catch up and relax.

Surrounded by a sea of faces'
Love, support, care and kindness.
So blessed, so grateful, so lucky,
To be kept out of harm's way.
My strength, my world, my family;
The ones with open arms always.

Now looking forward to a new year,
Filled again with fortune and good cheer.
Whatever that may lie beyond the horizon,
I will overcome without any fear,
Because when all is said and done,
I will always have the support of my family here.

Happy Holidays!
Happy Holidays...

0 comments:

Post a Comment