Monday, December 27, 2010

It's Like Looking

"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself."
--Lysha

Friends are an amazing miracle in life.  Growing up is tough.  There is a long list of things that we encounter on that journey of discovering who we are.  From day one on this Earth until we lay down to rest, we are challenged on many levels.  In my high school years, I deal with your typical teen problems such as homework, parents, stress, boys, drama etc.  After four years, most people would get tired of hearing the same old stories over and over again.  However, a true friend will always be there to listen and repeat the same advice over and over again, even if you do not take it and instead, do the exact opposite.

Recently, I felt like I completely lost track of where I was going and sight of who I am.  I felt like I hit rock bottom, but I have a friend, who helped me get back on track.  In fact, I am blessed to have many whom I spent this Winter Break with.  However, there is one, who honestly made such a huge difference and really showed me who I really am inside, beneath all of my fronts and the drama.  She prevented me from making some really stupid decisions out of hurt and anger.  There really is no possible way for me to fully express my gratitude, but I hope she realizes someday how important she is to me.

Her understanding, support and love inspired me to write this poem, which I have dedicated to her, along with my other girlfriends, little sister, grandmother, aunt and mother.  Thank you for always being there and putting up with me.



It’s like looking at a photo,
After it’s been hung, years ago.
You know that you’re there...
Somewhere under the blanket of dust.
Thinking back, I remember those days where,
Cootie shots were a must,
And morning pills were gummy vitamins.
Decisions were black and white,
And I never had to worry about a thing,
Because Daddy always led me to the right.

It’s like looking into a pond,
After the pebble is gone.
You know that you’re there...
Somewhere beneath the never-ending ripples.
Thinking back, I remember when I never had a care;
Everything was so simple,
And my worse fear was nothing more,
Than getting an apple for lunch.
But now reality comes knocking on the door,
With its effects hard and fast like a punch.

It’s like looking at the mirror,
After you’ve finished a shower.
You know that you’re there...
But the image isn’t quite clear.
Thinking back, I remember that one dare,
That brought to life a new set of fears.
Discovered that life could be gone just like that,
Realized that loved ones will not always be around,
Learned that one decision could be my last,
Now completely lost and trying to be found.

But nothing is comparable to looking into the eyes,
Of a friend, an aunt, a sister or a mother,
Because beyond those windows lies,
The secret to making everything clearer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment